Saturday 30 January 2016

Welcome to Dead House

Plot Summary: The main characters move into a house apparently inherited from a mysterious uncle. Turns out the whole neighbourhood are zombie/vampire creatures and they want to kill them so they can all stay living in the neighbourhood forever.

~

Wow, this was much better written than I remembered/expected. To me, the Goosebumps books were always a mash-up of weird plots, childish prose and endless dumb cliffhangers. Almost none of that is present in the first instalment, perhaps with the exception of the cliffhanger thing which at least is less intrusive than I remember. Plus this book has actual scary elements! I mean, considering the age group it's aimed at. Faces melt off, dogs die and become zombie-things, the main characters kill a guy...I was actually pretty impressed. Maybe this won't be the snark-fest I hoped for.

Idiot of the year award: Goes to Josh 'Let's explore the cemetery in the middle of the night' Benson. Shoutout to all the zombie kids too who casually reveal they all lived in the murder house.

Terrible family alert: Hey, a mysterious uncle left me a house. Do I know who he is? Nope. Am I going to attempt to contact anyone to find out? Nope.

Best of friends: Josh and Petey the dog. Even death can't-actually no, they totally abandon the zombie dog.

We can trust him right?: Mr. Dawes, the guy who brought them there. There's no way HE'S evil.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment